A dedicated server is exactly like it sounds: Your website is stored on a single physical server dedicated to your own personal use. You don’t share the server with anyone, you have full rights to the resources of the server, and you can configure the hosting environments to your exact specifications.
This type of hosting is generally more expensive, but in return you get very high performance and a higher level of security compared to other forms of hosting.
Think of dedicated hosting like owning your own house. You are the only resident. You can park your car in your own driveway and paint your house whatever color you like. But you are ultimately responsible for maintaining your property and it’s up to you to install a security alarm to scare off burglars.
- You have a dedicated server all to yourself.
- You have full access to all settings and can completely customize the server to suit your website’s need.
- It’s fast. You get 100% access to server resources.
- Great server performance since you can tailor the server to meet the exact specifications you need for your site.
- It’s secure. Since you’re the only one using the server, you don’t have to worry about the “bad neighbor” effect that’s common with sharing hosting.
- It’s expensive.
- You need skilled technical staff to maintain and optimize the server. You’re responsible for your server so if something goes wrong it’s up to you to fix it.